CENTRE WELLINGTON – This weekend marks daylight savings time, so as you are changing your clocks forward one hour on March 11, Centre Wellington Fire & Rescue recommends all residents take the time to install a new quality battery in their smoke and carbon monoxide alarms this weekend when you change your clocks.
"Working smoke and CO alarms are mandatory in all homes across Ontario and should be installed on every storey of your home and outside all sleeping areas" said Brad Patton, Fire Chief. "Daylight savings time is a great reminder to check the batteries in both your smoke and carbon monoxide alarms to ensure they are working. Early fire prevention and education is key in keeping your family safe".
Both alarm systems require good batteries to function as designed. They are also required to be changed every ten years. The manufacturer date is stamped on all of these life safety alarms.
Fire and carbon monoxide can kill in seconds. Often your first line of defense will be the sound of these life safety alarms. Please ensure your smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms are in good working order, it's the law and your life may depend on it.
Next week, March 12-16 is March Break! If your family is planning a "staycation" it is a great time to develop a home fire escape plan and practice it with the entire family.
If you have any questions about fire or carbon monoxide safety please call the Centre Wellington Fire & Rescue Department at 519-843-1950 or visit our website at centrewellington.ca.
For more information:
Kendra Martin | Communications Coordinator
Township of Centre Wellington | 1 MacDonald Square, Elora, ON N0B 1S0
519.846.9691 x220 centrewellington.ca
Find us on Facebook and Twitter – join the conversation and engage with your community!
Facebook – www.facebook.com/centrewellington
Twitter - @CentrWellington
Connect with us at www.connectcw.ca