A part of the community since 1928, the historic Fergus Grand Theatre has changed hands and uses over the years, but has never lost sight of its purpose of providing community entertainment.
The Fergus Grand Theatre was the dream of Sam Fardella, who turned the site of an old barn into a theatre on the main street of Fergus. On August 28, 1928, Louis B. Mayer, the head of MGM in Hollywood, sent Sam best wishes by telegram on the Grand Theatre's opening night.
Throughout the 1930's, 40's and 50's the Grand Theatre presented not only movies but also plays, concerts and other live events. With the rise of drive-ins and television in the late 50's and early 60's the theatre's popularity started to dwindle.
Cable television pioneer Jake Milligan bought the building in the late 1960's to house the rapidly growing Fergus-Elora Cable TV, as well as an electronics store. Live performances returned in the early 1980's with shows produced by the
Elora Community Theatre and other local and regional theatre companies.
Hugh and Lorraine Drew-Brook bought the building in the early 1990's and a professional summer theatre started in 1993. Theatre on the Grand came to an end in the summer of 2003 and the building then became the property of the Township of Centre Wellington.
Today the Fergus Grand Theatre has one full-time staff member and a small army of volunteers. It is rented out year-round to a large and growing list of individuals and organizations that use it for a wide variety of artistic, cultural and corporate events. Together these people are making the Fergus Grand Theatre a "community meeting place" once again.