Skip to main content Skip to footer

Fire Prevention

Fire Prevention and Public Education are identified as the first two lines of defence in regards to fire safety in Ontario, as identified by the Office of the Fire Marshall.

Centre Wellington Fire Rescue is committed to educating the public on how to prevent fires and and how to keep people and property out of harms way. 

Carbon Monoxide

If you suspect carbon monoxide in your home, call 9-1-1 immediately. Help beat the silent killer by installing a carbon monoxide device in your home.

What is Carbon Monoxide?

Carbon monoxide is a colourless, odourless, deadly gas. Because you cannot see, taste or smell it carbon monoxide can kill you before you know it is even there. Heating and cooking equipment that burn fuel are potential sources of carbon monoxide. Vehicles or generators running in an attached garage can also produce dangerous levels of carbon monoxide.

What should I do if I suspect Carbon Monoxide?

  • If you experience symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning call 9-1-1 and get everyone out of the house.
  • If you have a carbon monoxide concern, call Enbridge Gas or a certified heating contractor.
  • If your carbon monoxide alarm sounds and there are no medical symptoms, open all doors and windows and call Union Gas or a certified heating contractor.

Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide

If you are experiencing symptoms of carbon monoxide poising call 9-1-1 immediately.

You may experience the following symptoms if exposed to carbon monoxide:

  • Exposure to low concentrations of carbon monoxide may produce a slight headache or shortness of breath during moderate activity
  • Exposure to high concentrations of carbon monoxide may cause a severe headache, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, mental confusion, weakness, vision and hearing impairment, collapse or fainting, loss of muscle control and drowsiness
  • Exposure to higher concentrations can result in unconsciousness, brain damage or death
  • Install a carbon monoxide alarm near sleeping areas

Preventing Carbon Monoxide

  • Test carbon monoxide alarms at least once a month
  • If the audible trouble signal sounds, check for low batteries. If the battery is low, replace it. If it still sounds, call the fire department.
  • Have your furnace and heating system inspected once a year by a certified heating contractor.
  • Have your chimney, flues and vents professionally cleaned once a year.
  • Never burn charcoal or run your gas barbecue indoors or in an enclosed area.
  • Never leave a car idling in a garage.
  • If the CO alarm sounds, immediately move to a fresh air location outdoors or by an open window or door. Make sure everyone inside the home is accounted for. Call for help from a fresh air location and stay there until emergency personnel.
  • If you need to warm a vehicle, remove it from the garage immediately after starting it. Do not run a vehicle or other fueled engine or motor indoors, even if garage doors are open. Make sure the exhaust pipe of a running vehicle is not covered with snow.
  • During and after a snowstorm, make sure vents for the dryer, furnace, stove, and fireplace are clear of snow build-up.
  • A generator should be used in a well-ventilated location outdoors away from windows, doors and vent openings.
  • Gas or charcoal grills can produce CO -- only use outside

More carbon monoxide information is available through the Government of Ontario.

Smoke Alarms

Smoke Alarms

Effective March 1, 2006, smoke alarms must be installed on every level of a home and outside all sleeping areas whether it's owner occupied or rented. Non-compliance with the Fire Code smoke alarm requirements can result in a ticket of $235 or a fine of up to $25,000.

Key components of an effective smoke alarm system is choosing the correct device(s), the location, maintenance, testing, replacement and planning an escape route.

For more information, view the National Fire Protection Association smoke alarm fact sheet

Fire Extinguishers

When used properly, a fire extinguisher can save lives and property by putting out a fire before it becomes out of control. There are many different types of extinguishers for different purposes. When purchasing yours, ensure that you are buying one that suits your needs. Install it where the greatest potential of fire risk would be – in the kitchen, near an exit, in a room that has a fireplace or woodstove, garage or workshop would be logical places.

For fire extinguisher safety tips, visit the National Fire Protection Association.

Fire Safety during Power Failures

When your power is out, you may be introducing potential hazards to your home. Learn more about important safety tips during power outages. 

Home Fire Escape Plan

Fire can spread rapidly through your home, leaving you as little as two minutes to escape safely once the alarm sounds. Gather everyone in your household and make an escape plan.

Developing your Home Fire Escape Plan is a great way to get children involved in fire safety in a non-threatening way and keep your family safe.  

The Home Fire Sprinkler Coalition (HFSC) was formed in 1996 in response to the tremendous need to inform the public about the life-saving value of home fire sprinkler protection. HFSC offers educational material with details about installed home fire sprinkler systems, how they work, why they provide affordable protection and answers to common myths and misconceptions about their operation.


To view a detailed video on how quickly a home fire can spread, click here.

As we head into the colder months, most restaurants will extend patio season with the use of patio heaters to keep their customers warm. To ensure the safety of your patrons, staff and your establishment, please refer to the follow guidelines and safety tips:

The Centre Wellington Fire Rescue Department conducts routine inspections, on-request inspections and complaint-based Inspections.

Some of the Inspections we conduct include:

  • Occupant Load Capacity
  • Liquor Licence Approval
  • Mobile/Seasonal Vendor's Permit
  • Special Open Air Burning Permit
  • Homes or buildings requested by a Solicitor, Landlord, Owner or Purchaser
  • Schools – public, private, day and nursery
  • Hospitals, retirement homes and care and treatment facilities

It is now the owner of any care facility's responsibility to request a yearly "Fire Safety Inspection" under the Fire Protection and Prevention Act 1997

Our Fire Prevention Inspectors will enforce violations found under the Ontario Fire Code. These violations would include such items as:

  • Maintenance, testing and inspections of fire safety systems
  • Smoke alarms
  • Blocked exits
  • Breaches in fire separations or missing fire separations
  • Missing or broken fire doors
  • Electrical hazards
  • Improperly used or improper storage of flammable and combustible liquids or gases
  • Hazardous materials
  • Unsafe accumulation of combustible materials etc.


Inspections may be scheduled through our Administrative Office at the Fergus Fire Station 519-843-1950.

Batteries that power many of your household devices and children's toys contain harmful substances, like acids, that can cause serious injury and even death if swallowed by a child. They can also pose a risk of fire or explosion. Below are some helpful resources so you can learn more about battery safety.


Health Canada - Battery Safety 

Lithium-Ion Battery Safety

Sign up to our Newsletter

Stay up to date on the city's activities, events, programs and operations by subscribing to our eNewsletters.

This website uses cookies to enhance usability and provide you with a more personal experience. By using this website, you agree to our use of cookies as explained in our Privacy Policy.