In 1999, the Town of Fergus and the Village of Elora Fire Departments amalgamated to form the Centre Wellington Fire Rescue.
Here is a little bit of history on the two departments before that amalgamation.
Established in the mid 1800's, the Elora Fire Brigade as it was known as then, was located in the town's market square at 1 MacDonald Square, Elora. The drill shed was a two-story building with a bell tower and housed Elora's horse-drawn steamer pumper. The Elora Fire Brigade's drill shed was replaced by the Township of Centre Wellington's administrative offices in the 1960s.
The present-day Elora Station located at 72 Wellington Road 7, Elora was constructed in 1987.
Established in 1853, the Fergus Fire Brigade originated at the corner of St. Patrick Street and Tower Street in Fergus. A two-story building was constructed in 1861 as a result of a fundraising effort to gather shares to cover the cost of construction. As the department grew, a third floor was added along with a main garage to house a motor powered engine. The department used this building along with many other local organizations (even the high school) to run operations.
In 1975, Town Council decided to build a new Fire Station to meet the expanding needs of the Fire Department, which is still its home at 250 Queen Street W., Fergus.