Skip to main content Skip to footer

Risk Management

Risk Management is responsible for the placement and administration of all Township insurance coverage, assisting other departments in mitigating claims risk, approving third party insurance certificates and the handling of all third party liability claims made against the Township relating to personal injury or property damage.

Under Construction - stay tuned

Under Construction - stay tuned


This information is intended is an informal guide to help you with the claims process. This is NOT a substitute for legal advice. If you have questions of a legal nature you should consult a lawyer. The Township of Centre Wellington accepts no liability arising from the information published here.

If you incurred costs for which you believe the Township may be responsible, you must follow the process outlined below to have your claim considered. In some situations you are required to place the Township on notice within 10 days of the incident.

According to the Municipal Act,

  1. notification of a claim must be in writing
  2. anyone with a claim arising from an incident that occurred on a highway or bridge (including but not limited to a sidewalk, boulevard, or roadway) must submit their claim, detailing the location of the incident and the injury complained of, within 10 days after the injury occurred
  3. failure to give notice may be a bar to recovery.

To ensure your claim meets the notice requirement, please forward your claim to the following address within the 10-day period.



Regular mail:

The Corporation of the Township of Centre Wellington

1 MacDonald Square, Elora, ON N0B 1S0

Attention: Purchasing & Risk Management 

Fax: 519-846-2074

Note: Payment for property damage or bodily injury is contingent upon the Township being found legally liable.

We suggest that in all cases of damage you contact your insurance company or broker. If your insurer believes the Township is responsible for your damage, they will seek compensation on your behalf as stipulated in your insurance policy. Depending on the situation you may be eligible for more compensation from your insurer than you can recover from the Township.

To fill out a Claims Form click here.

To obtain a pdf of the Claims Form, click here.

Upon receipt of your claim information by the Purchasing & Risk Management Division you will receive confirmation of your claim. Purchasing & Risk Management will initiate an investigation based on the information provided. The claim may be referred to an independent insurance adjuster in order for the adjuster to conduct the investigation into the facts and circumstances of the incident and to determine whether the Township is legally liable for your claim.

Due to the uniqueness of each claim, the timeline of a decision of a claim will vary.

In the interim, common law requires you to mitigate your damages. If you have any questions about the claims notification process, please email us at 

In cases of extreme storm events such as heavy rain, snowstorms or windstorms, a higher volume of claims received by the Township may extend the time it takes to process insurance claims. You should contact your own insurer about your loss. Repairs may be expedited by making a claim through your insurance company.

You may want to confirm jurisdiction over the road you were travelling before submitting a claim. Submitting your claim to the correct road authority first will save you time in getting a response.

For claims involving the County of Wellington, for example, vehicle damage on a regional, please contact the County of Wellington, Purchasing & Risk Management Division, at 519-837-2060.

For claims involving the Ministry of Transportation, for example, vehicle damage on Highway 6 (with the exception of the connecting link) , please contact the MTO Risk Management Department at 416-314-3445.

The Township will not be held responsible for your costs unless you can provide evidence that the Township committed a negligent act or omission which resulted in injury or damage. Like most Canadian municipalities, the Township of Centre Wellington only compensates when it is legally liable for the damage sustained. This approach helps to reduce costs for the taxpaying public, who ultimately bear the cost of these claims.

Whenever damage to Township property is caused by a third party, the Township will seek recovery of the related costs from the responsible party (example – damage to property such as street lights, hydrants, guard rails, etc.)

Looking for more information?  View our Frequently asked Questions document.

Sign up to our Newsletter

Stay up to date on the city's activities, events, programs and operations by subscribing to our eNewsletters.

This website uses cookies to enhance usability and provide you with a more personal experience. By using this website, you agree to our use of cookies as explained in our Privacy Policy.